Troubleshoot Your Home Air Conditioning Issues
Written on: June 19, 2023
These HVAC tips might save you an A/C repair visit.
With summer temperatures at full sizzle, you’re no doubt relying on your home’s central air conditioning quite a bit. The OSI Comfort Specialists team is already receiving our fair share of A/C repair calls in Queens and Long Island. Our expert HVAC technicians are always here to help you when it’s scorching hot and your home’s cooling won’t work.
That said, there are some A/C problems that homeowners can fix themselves. We are more than happy to help you troubleshoot your cooling system. Following these steps might save you a service visit that costs money. Fixing your own issue will also allow our technicians to stay on the road and help other homeowners.
Is your A/C blowing warm or weak air?
If your central A/C is on, but the air from your vents is weak or warm, try these troubleshooting steps:
- Look at your thermostat. Is it set to “air conditioning,” “cool” or “fan”? Make sure it’s on one of these settings and you’ve set the cooling temperature to 5 degrees lower than the current indoor temperature.
- Check that your air vents are open and clear of impediments.
- Make sure that your outdoor A/C equipment is running. If it’s not, then check that all power switches or circuit breakers are on.
- If your outdoor unit is running, ensure no plants or debris are clogging it. If there are, switch off its power and clean it.
- Check your air filters. Clean or replace them if they are dirty or clogged.
If your A/C isn’t blowing cool air after these steps, call OSI Comfort Specialists.
Is your central A/C not turning on at all?
If your cooling equipment won’t turn on at all, try these fixes:
- Confirm that your thermostat is set to “air conditioning,” “cool” or “fan” mode and that the temperature is set at least 5 degrees cooler than the current room temperature.
- Check your home’s circuit breakers. If one is tripped, reset the breaker and try the system again.
- Check your home’s power switches. If any of them are turned off, flip them on since they may be depriving your A/C equipment of electricity.
When should you contact OSI Comfort Specialists for an A/C repair?
If these troubleshooting steps don’t make your central A/C come back on, then it’s time to reach out to the pros at OSI Comfort Specialists. We also recommend that you contact us for service if you notice the following:
- loud noises from your equipment.
- burning or sour smells.
- too-frequent A/C cycling.
- warm spots in your home even when the A/C is running.
If you’re looking for 100 percent peace of mind in your central A/C equipment, we recommend that you protect your cooling system with one of our affordable service plans. These plans include a free annual tune-up to keep your equipment running at peak performance. They also keep your repair costs down if you do experience a breakdown.
Need expert A/C repair? Get in touch with OSI Comfort Specialists to request service.