Which Water Heater Is Right For My Home?
Written on: December 19, 2022
Everything you should consider when it’s time for a new hot water system
Hot water is one of those crucial conveniences that we take for granted until it goes away. When your water heater breaks down, you suddenly can’t shower. Washing dishes and laundry becomes more difficult. It’s one heck of a mess for everyone in your home.
Having a reliable, efficient water heater is also important for your home budget. The average American household uses 20 percent of its energy heating water. An inefficient hot water system can really increase your energy bills.
Here are some things to consider when it’s time to upgrade to a new water heater.
When is it time to replace your water heater?
At OSI Comfort Specialists, we speak to many homeowners in Nassau, Suffolk and Queens Counties about the warning signs that their water heater might fail, including the following:
- Rumbling or clanging noises
- Pooling water near your tank
- Rusty water from the tap
- Difficulty flushing your tank
- Hard water stains on clothes and dishes
It’s imperative that you get in touch with a licensed plumbing team like ours if you notice these issues. Sometimes, basic maintenance can fix the problem, but you may need a water heater replacement. If you act proactively, you’ll have the best selection of products. If you wait until your current model fails, you’ll be scrambling to replace it just to get the hot water back on.
Types of water heaters
There are several options you can opt for in your home:
- Storage tank water heater — This is what most people imagine when they think of a water heater. It stores between 30 and 80 gallons for distribution throughout your home. These models are affordable and easy to maintain, but they take up a lot of space and aren’t very efficient.
- Tankless water heater — Available in gas and electric models, these systems produce virtually unlimited hot water, as needed. Tankless water heaters are a pricier upfront investment, but they save you significant money on energy costs and take up very little space in your home. Plus, they last longer than storage tank models.
- Combination boiler/water heater systems — Also called condensing water heaters, these systems are popular in the UK. This system is quite eco-friendly and efficient, but it’s pricy to install.
What to consider when choosing a water heater
When it’s time to arrange a water heater installation, the team at OSI Comfort Specialists can help you identify the right oil, gas, or electric-powered water heater for your home. Some of the factors we account for are:
- Water usage — How large is your home, and how many taps do you need to service?
- Fuel type — How do you currently power your hot water system? Is it worth switching for better efficiency?
- Space — How large of a water heater can your space accommodate? Do you want to reclaim space by switching to a tankless system?
- Comfort — Are your showers not lasting as long as you want? Upgrading to a more powerful and efficient water heater could dramatically improve your quality of life.
If you’re ready to discuss a water heater upgrade, contact OSI Comfort Specialists right now!