Will Your Heating System Last All Winter?
Written on: September 18, 2023
Upgrade to a high-efficiency boiler or furnace this fall.
Some things improve with age: wine, cast iron pans, wisdom.
Your furnace or boiler doesn’t fall under that category. Home heating equipment is at its most efficient right after installation, and getting routine furnace or boiler maintenance each year will keep it running effectively and for longer. Even so, if your heating system is over a decade old, its fuel efficiency may have dropped to nearly 60 percent.
So, for every dollar you spend on heating oil, you only get about 60 cents worth of heat for your family. The other 40 cents is going right up your chimney. You end up spending more money on your home heating (40 percent of home energy use, on average), and your system is at a larger risk of breaking down.
We speak to homeowners in Queens, Nassau and western Suffolk counties daily about high-efficiency boiler and furnace installations. OSI Comfort Specialists sells, installs and services heating products from top manufacturers like Energy Kinetics, Peerless and Burnham. We can absolutely help you upgrade to a system that will last all winter — and many more to come.
Signs that your boiler or furnace is failing
If you suspect your heating equipment is nearing retirement, please don’t wait to talk to us. The worst possible situation you could put yourself in is being in the middle of a winter cold snap with a failed boiler or furnace.
Here are five signs that your heating equipment is nearing the end of its lifespan.
- It’s over 15 years old. This is the age at which boilers and furnaces lose reliability significantly.
- It’s making strange noises. Grinding, banging, popping, whining and clanging are not normal noises for a well-operating system.
- Your winter fuel usage has gone up. If you’re using more heating oil each winter despite no increased heating, your system is burning more fuel to keep you warm. This indicates diminished efficiency.
- Your boiler is leaking water. Your boiler shouldn’t have puddles around it. If its tank is leaking, this could indicate a major issue that can lead to water damage if left unattended.
- Dust is coming from your vents. Furnaces can accumulate dust and other debris over time, especially if they don’t receive regular maintenance. A simple cleaning and new air filters might fix this, but it could also signal that your furnace is on its last legs.
These aren’t the only signs that a heating system is in trouble. If you have any concerns that yours might be struggling, call OSI Comfort Specialists for a heating system inspection.
OSI Comfort Specialists will upgrade your heating this fall!
Don’t wait for the mercury to drop below freezing in New York to contact our expert HVAC team. We have much more availability for furnace and boiler installations in the fall before we start receiving constant no-heat calls. Our friendly pros can help you choose a heating product that will boost your winter comfort and lower your fuel bills. We also offer service plan protection to keep it running efficiently for the long haul.
Reach out to OSI Comfort Specialists for a no-obligation estimate.